ATMs are spreading at a rapid pace. When you look around where you live, many ATMs need fixing now and then. Becoming an ATM technician can be a fantastic job opportunity.
Moreover, as ATMs process thousands of transactions every day, they may require frequent maintenance and repair services.
Qualifications of an ATM Technician
1. Clean Background
ATM technician job means that you will be handling huge sums of money. Thus, you need to be a trustworthy person. Money could get lost and no company would want a person with a criminal record.
The company wouldn’t want to spoil their hard-earned reputation. Therefore, it is important for you to maintain a clean criminal record. You’ll experience a thorough background check during the employment process.
There are a number of organizations, offer pre employment checks if you are in the UK then pre employment checks UK is one of the best options for you.
2. Education requirement
Like all other jobs, you should have a high school diploma. Some even ask for an associate’s degree. It includes courses such as electro-mechanical system or programming fundamentals.
It’s because you’ll be fixing malfunctioning cash dispensing systems. Thus, you need to be knowledgeable of circuits and transistors.
Despite having the required degree, you will receive training for the job that could last for a few months. It ensures you have the skills to work on the machines.
3. Certification requirement
Usually, an ATM repair company will be much more interested in your additional certificate.
Therefore, you may need a certificate from the International Society of Certified Electronics Technicians (ISCET). Besides, there are about 80 programs, most of which are special skills in electronics.
The following are the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) minimum standard set for those aspiring to become an ATM technician.
- Good communication skills: You must have a professional appearance. A driver’s license is also a must.
- Agility: As a technician, you will have to be a lot more flexible in body movements. Often, you will have to work in awkward postures.
- Strong: While working on the machine, you will have to move it to access the spoilt areas. You will thus be required to have the strength of handling heavy equipment.
- Analytical: You should have robust decision-making skills. You should be able to identify the problem. You then have to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of its alternative solution critically.
- Familiarity with IT: You should know chips, circuit boards, and processors. You should also have in-depth knowledge of computer hardware and software. Knowledge of applications and programming will help you understand more about telecommunication systems.
In May 2017, ATM and computer technicians received a salary of about $37,710. Employment was on a full-time basis. Besides, any additional weekend work resulted in overtime pay. The number of technicians has been on the rise over the years. As a result, the salary could be slightly lower than $37,710.
You may apply for jobs at any ATM manufacturer or ATM repair company. Banks often offer contracts to these businesses. You can even become an entrepreneur by starting your own company offering ATM repair services.
Becoming an ATM technician is one of the best opportunities you can get. You will not only interact with successful business owners but you can also get paid to do what you love the most.